Thursday, November 30, 2017

Screen Rant: HBO Passed Up the Chance to Create the New LOTR TV Series


Screen Rant just broke the news that HBO passed on the new Lord of the Rings TV series. The article explains that the entertainment company prefers to produce content for licenses that they own completely––so not surprisingly the complicated licensing and rights situation of Lord of the Rings (involving Warner Bros, New Line Cinema, the Tolkien Estate, and sometimes Middle-earth Enterprises) was not appealing to HBO. I've got to say I'm glad that HBO passed on Lord of the Rings. As well made as Game of Thrones is, I would hate to see Lord of the Rings tarnished with gratuitous violence and sex. Of course, there is still the possibility that Amazon will go that route . . . I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed, I suppose. Thanks to the Secret Fire Podcast for putting this info up on Twitter.

UPDATE: Here's an additional article by Den of Geek that basically covers the same news.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment